Most of the oral surgeries are done at dentist’s office and depending on the anaesthesia used and complexity of the procedure, you might even drive following the surgery. You can even get back to your office after oral surgery. Thanks to the advanced dental technologies and techniques which has made dental procedures minimally invasive, painless, and quick recovery.
However, just because dental procedures don’t require an overnight stay, it doesn’t mean that you have to overlook the recovery period. Whether it is a minor or major oral procedure, recovery is crucial. It is of utmost importance to follow your 24 hour dentist Blacktown post-operative care instructions carefully for proper healing and prevent any complications.
Here are a few tips as suggested by the dentists from our Blacktown dental clinic:-
- Never underestimate the post-care operative instructions given your dentist. Your oral surgeon knows about your dental health than anyone. So, follow your dentists’ instructions to recover from the surgery quickly.
- Your body needs to recover, regardless of the complexity of the oral surgery. Lie down once you reach home to promote proper blood flow to your head and reduce swelling in your mouth. In addition to it, propping your head will reduce bleeding post-surgery. Hence, rest well.
- Following a dental procedure, it is advisable to ice your face throughout the day to stop bleeding and reduce swelling on the surgical site. Place the ice every 15 minutes to reduce the discomfort.
- Even if you don’t feel the pain following the surgery, it is advisable to take the pain killers suggested by your dentist. It is better to prevent pain than it is occurring. Moreover, don’t skip the dose. Even if it is to wake up in the middle of the night, set the alarm, and take your medicine. And don’t forget the antibiotics as it promotes healing and prevents infection.
- Stick to a soft diet on the day of surgery and a couple of days after the procedure. Soups, mashed potatoes, and yogurts are good to have. Moreover, eat healthy foods rich in vitamins.
- Avoid using a straw for drinking liquids, and don’t squish after the procedure, as this act can dislodge the blood clot formed on the surgical site. A blood clot promotes healing and saves the nerves. Also, don’t smoke as the act of inhaling and exhaling can affect the blood clot.
- Visit the emergency dentist Blacktown in case if you are bleeding profusely or experiencing pain even after taking medication. Of course, these complications are rare. But, if it occurs, make sure to contact your dentist.
- Visit your 24 hour dentist Blacktown for a review and make sure you are healing and there are no complications.
For further queries about oral surgery recovery, please call us. We are happy to answer your questions and suggest you the right treatment plan.